Domestic or domesticated?

sillydreamer

Vietnamese
Hi everyone, please help me with this problem. I did an exercise about word choice in the book "New Proficiency to English" by Leo Jones, Cambridge University press. The content is:
Cattle and chicken are _______ animals.
The choices are : domestic, domesticated, house-trained, obedient, tame and wild.
To do this exercise, I have looked up in Cambridge dictionary and it says : domestic animal is an animal that is not wild and is kept as a pet or to produce food; and the meaning of domesticated is : able or willing to do cleaning, cooking, and other jobs in the home, and to take care of children. However, the correct answer according to the book is domesticated animal. Can anyone explain to me why? Thank you very much.

• tedfromtoronto

bilingual CE/AE, understand BE
    I would add that "domestic" implies living in the home ("domicile"). Dogs and cats live in the home. Domesticated has a sense of being "made to be domestic", similar to the usage adultered/adulterated. Maybe someone else can shed more light.

tedfromtoronto

bilingual CE/AE, understand BE
    Dear Sillydreamer

It is three years since you asked that question but since Discoteque has weighed in, here are my additional thoughts. You are trying to increase your proficiency in English by taking the Cambridge tests. Bravo!

In taking a test, the first strategy is to eliminate the obvious wrong answers.
    "Wild" is wrong because these are not wild animals. Similarly for "obedient" and "house-trained". "Tame" implies that this is an animal that is usually wild, but because it has been subject to unusual circumstances, for instance raised amongst humans since it was a baby, it is not wild. I think an orangutan raised this way might qualify. This brings us to "domestic" and "domesticated". Having regard to all the comments, especially Discoteque's, both are correct. Certainly normal English speakers would accept that you are fluent in English if you chose one of these.

But this is a test, where the testing body wants to have an answer to whether to choose candidate A or B. So I think the correct answer would be "domesticated", since this implies the candidate (that is, you) understand that "domesticated" means "make a wild animal domestic so that it can live peaceably with humans", which is surely correct. While "domestic" is also correct, the testing body will be more confident that candidates that choose "domesticated" probably have a superior knowledge of English than those that choose "domestic".

My last thought is that if you are at that level, you are probably a more precise linguist than most native speakers.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Dear Sillydreamer

While "domestic" is also correct, the testing body will be more confident that candidates that choose "domesticated" probably have a superior knowledge of English than those that choose "domestic".

My last thought is that if you are at that level, you are probably a more precise linguist than most native speakers.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, domestic and domesticated are synonyms:
    No, this is not true; the Encyclopedia Britannica does not make that claim, and the claim is false anyway. For example, an airline flight from Los Angeles to New York is a domestic flight; not a domesticated flight. On the other hand, one may speak of domesticated wolves, but not domestic wolves.

It is therefore erroneous to claim that the words "domestic" and "domesticated" may be used as interchangeable synonyms.

< Previous | Next >