domesticated animal fur

Chigch

Mongolian
hello.

I would like to know which of 'domesticated animal fur' and 'fur of domesticated animals' fits into the following context, though the former sounds better to me.

"The market of domesticated animal fur is getting very active nowadays."

I appreciate any comments.

• stez

english - australia
    I agree that the former sounds better. I would suggest 'the market for' rather than 'of'.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Since fur is rarely tamed, I'd use "the market for the fur of domestic animals".

What was the source of this sentence, Chigch? I wonder where people are skinning cats and dogs for their fur. :eek:

Chigch

Mongolian
    thanks for the comments.

The phrase in question was made by a friend of mine who is non-native, too, and the sentence by me.
    The word 'fur' here is not the original word.
    I just changed it.

P.s. I am making correction to his English essay.:)

Andygc

British English
    Since fur is rarely tamed, I'd use "the market for the fur of domestic animals".
    Because there is no realistic risk of the meaning being misunderstood, I can't see that there's a reason to avoid "domesticated animal fur". Mind you, I'd use "domestic animal fur" because the normal English term for cats and dogs is not "domesticated animals".

Myridon

English - US
    Andygc brings up a good point: What sort of animals/fur are we talking about?
    domesticated animals - animals that have been domesticated - cows, sheep, horses, chickens
    domestic fur - fur that has not been imported
    domestic animals - animals that live in our homes - dogs and cats
    ??? animals - animals that are breed for their fur but not considered domesticated - chincillas, ermine, etc
    wild animals - animals that are trapped for their fur in the wild.
    (I once owned a parka that had dog hair (meant to look like wolf hair) on the trim around the hood.)

< Previous | Next >