dominate the headlines

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kacy.H, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    Hello, there

When I google 'bad news dominates the headlines', every website says 'the headlines instead of just 'headlines'.

Why is 'the' needed here?

Many many thanks

2. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    It would help if you gave a real sentence from a real source but I think the headlines would refer to the headlines at this time/these days.

3. Piyush toplani

Piyush toplani Senior Member

India
    Hindi
    "The" is needed in your sentence because the website would speak about the specific headlines may be the headlines of today or yesterday. If you want to generalize the sentence that you may intend here then you can say " bad news dominates headlines." But if you give the website link where you say the sentence then maybe I would give a more accurate answer.:)

(Cross posted)

4. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
  5. Piyush toplani

Piyush toplani Senior Member

India
    Hindi
    "The" is written in the sentence( headline of the Washington post) to make the word headline specific. The "the" in the sentence denotes that the headlines on which the ravens' QBs dominate is that day's headlines( 2 dec 2018) of all the media.:)

6. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    Thanks. I think that what Piyush and I said above applies to this example. :)

7. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    Thanks everybody

8. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I see "the headlines" as a set phrase. It's just how you say that idea.

The attack on Pearl Harbor dominated the headlines in December 1941.

He's an attention junkie. He tries to get his name into the headlines as often as possible.

It's generic. I'm going to the store. It could be any store of many. He's been in the headlines a lot. It could be any headlines of many.

9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    thanks everybody