Dominating the landscape.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I am writing about the Sierra Nevada mountain range and I'm not confident the expression "dominating the landscape" is correct in the following sentence: " From the depression, or trough, of Guadix we can watch a landscape picture of the range with the Montes del Marquesado, topped by the peaks of Alcazaba and Mulhacén. From the Costa (coast) and the Alpujarra, the picture is that of the summits of the “tresmiles” descending to the south, and from the city, we can watch the Veleta and the hillside of the Sierra Nevada Ski Station, or ski resort, and the lower hills at its foothills, dominating the landscape". Thanks in advance for your kind ooperation.

• lingobingo

English - England
    "Dominating the landscape" is a very nice turn of phrase. And if what you're describing really does outweigh everything else on that landscape visually, then do by all means use it.

There are, however, numerous issues with the rest of the text. I would rewrite it for you, but apparently that's not allowed by the thought police!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It's a long and complicated sentence. When I get to the phrase "dominating the landcape" I have no clue what noun the phrase refers to.

Perhaps I could study the sentence and figure that out. But when I am reading things, I don't study sentences to figure them out. In English it is common to use shorter sentences, to avoid ambiguity and confusion.

I have no idea if the phrase "is correct", not knowing what "dominating the landscape" is supposed to be modifying. If it is modifying anything other than the word before its comma ("foothills") it is probably incorrect.

< Previous | Next >