Domino pizza collection

HenryLei

Cantonese
I have ordered a pizza online and I need to collect it from the Domino's store. How should I say to the staff?

Excuse me, Can I collect my pizza?
Excuse me, Can I collect my order?
It seems a bit un-natural, any suggestions please?

• pob14

American English
    You don't collect a pizza, you pick it up.

When I pick up a pizza (which is quite often), I just say, "Do you have a pick-up order for POB?" Very often, they will just ask my name when I show up, and I don't really need to say anything else.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    When I pick up a pizza (which is quite often), I just say, "Do you have a pick-up order for POB?" Very often, they will just ask my name when I show up, and I don't really need to say anything else.
    Like many everyday interactions, it is possible to write a grammatical version, and then there is the version that normally happens.

I walk in and there is someone to take my order. I mumble something that might be "I ordered by phone," or might only be "Phone order," or something brief probably containing those words.
    They say something like "What's the name"? I say "panj". They get the order, there is a brief interchange about payment, and off I go.

Andygc

British English
    As you say you are in England, I'd like to reassure you that there's nothing wrong here with "collect". I don't go to collect pizzas, but I'd have no problem with saying "I've come to collect the curry I ordered".

Oeco

English - US
    As you say you are in England, I'd like to reassure you that there's nothing wrong here with "collect". I don't go to collect pizzas, but I'd have no problem with saying "I've come to collect the curry I ordered".
    I thought that was the case!

Linkway

British English
    Here in England, when I phone my local Indian restaurant to place an order, the first question they ask is invariably: "For collection or delivery?"

< Previous | Next >