domino tiles

brian&me

Chinese - China
22db9b539275e6fd935af31d81ea747.jpg

This page is from a book by Reading A-Z.

I don’t know what kind of game ‘domino tiles’ is. I can’t find the answer in my dictionaries.

Could you help me?

Many thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's usually just called dominoes. Each wooden tile has two numbers on it, like 3 and 5, in the form of three dots in one colour, at one end, and five dots of a different colour at the other end. The colours are just to make the numbers clearer. Players try to match numbers already on the table: if there's a 5, they place their own 5 next to it.

I think the object is to use up your own tiles first, but it's been a long time since I played it.

ewie

English English
    It's usually just called dominoes. Each wooden tile has two numbers on it, like 3 and 5, in the form of three dots in one colour, at one end, and five dots of a different colour at the other end. The colours are just to make the numbers clearer. Players try to match numbers already on the table: if there's a 5, they place their own 5 next to it.

I think the object is to use up your own tiles first, but it's been a long time since I played it.
    :thumbsup: The 'tiles' themselves are usually just called dominoes too:

I like to hear the click of dominoes as people play them.

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    As you are in China, brian&me, a good way of thinking about 'tiles' in this sense (and I agree with what entangledbank and ewie have said) is to think of Mah Jong 'tiles'. Although a different game to dominoes (and there are many different domino games as well as the ones mentioned) we call these 'game pieces' also by the word 'tiles'.)

When you play Scrabble, the 'game pieces' are also 'tiles'.

< Previous | Next >