Don’t worry if the host good-naturedly complains

< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

The followings are from an article on courtesy code. It is about how to be a good guest in others' home, when you stay there for several days.

Make up your bed in the morning, and leave your room neat. Offer to help with work in the home, such as washing and drying dishes. Don’t worry if the host good-naturedly complains that you are setting a bad example for him.

What does this last sentence mean? I guess it means like this: if you do make up your bed, leave your room neat, and offer to help with work in the home, you won't need to fear that the host will speak negatively of you.

Besides, what does "good naturedly complains" mean?

Thank you.

• suzi br

English / England
    It means he might complain about your good habits in a jokey way .... his complaint would not be serious.

suzi br

English / England
    I guess he means, behave well even if the host tries to tell you that you can laze around and not contribute to the domestic chores.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    It means that if you do all these domestic tasks, the host will (jokingly) be worried that you are setting a precedent and he will be expected by his wife to do the same when you have gone.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I agree with Bevj's interpretation - you're setting an example by offering to help, and in your host's view it's a bad example because his wife may expect him to follow it.

< Previous | Next >