donkey cart ambulance

alenaro

Italian
Hi, I have just found this expression: donkey cart ambulance, as a way to transfer patients to medical centres in developping countries.
I am wondering now whether donkey cart refers to donkeys only, or it is just the way you natives call this cart in any situation, regardless of the animal, and could therefore be pulled by anything!?

The reason why I need to know this it is to include or not any reference to the donkey word.

I hope my question is clear, thank you loads.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You haven't told us where you found this. Without more context it is difficult impossible to say whether the intended meaning is literal (that patients are actually transported in carts drawn by animals, be they horses, donkeys, cows, dogs, or reindeer -- or even humans, as in rickshaws) or figurative (denoting that the methods are rather primitive, perhaps the horse-cart is lashed to a moped, perhaps patients are put on the back of a farm truck, or into a motorcycle's side car), or an exaggeration (proper ambulances, but 25 years old and falling apart).

alenaro

Italian
    The only context to my end is that these donkey carts would be funded for use in developping countries among displaced persons, especially elderly. There are no photos. It's a sentence which tells what donors could fund by spending $ xxxx,xx. Donkey cart ambulance for medical referral of elderly people.

What would you choose, having no comprehensive context, may I ask? I would be in two minds between specifying donkey or just say handheld...

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    From your additional information, I think it l likely that these really are carts pulled by donkeys.

If you google for "donkey cart ambulance" you can see pictures, and plans of how to build them.

Therefore I would keep the reference to donkeys.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >