donkey herder

< Previous | Next >

souplady

english - united states
Is there a word for someone whose profession is to care for donkeys? I'm looking for something that sounds somewhat official and perhaps antiquated, and "donkey herder" just isn't doing it for me. Like you'd call a person who cares for sheep a shepherd...

• As a suggestion, per our WR dictionary, you might be able to say "donkey wrangler" since "wrangler" is a generic term for someone who tends to and manages domestic animals like horses, cows, and even snakes.

I'm not aware that anyone who drives horses or cows into herds -- as just one part of the other tending jobs they would perform -- would ever be called a "horse herder" or "cow herder", etc. and you want the term for the person who cares for them in a broader way.

souplady

english - united states
    I don't know anything else about the person. I'm translating an old birth certificate from Spain for an assignment, and it names somebody and describes their profession as asnero, which as far as I can tell just means, "a person who cares for asses."

I suppose I'll go with wrangler. Thank you, Dale. I don't know much about country living, I'm more of a city girl myself. ;)

< Previous | Next >