Donna portatrice di fiaccola

FloresAmarillas

Italian - Italy
I'm writing a literary-mythological essay in English taking info from Italian sources and I'm having a hard time finding a good translation for the expression "donna portatrice di fiaccola". It's referred to goddesses/heroines who are traditionally portrayed carrying a torch. Does "torch-bringing woman" sound good? Or should I replace the verb bring with a more appropriate one, if only for its sound, like carry or bear?

Thanks in advance =)

• rrose17

Canada, English
    You could say a torch bearing woman, but personally I'd go with a woman carrying/bearing a torch. Can you give us a more complete phrase using the expression?

FloresAmarillas

Italian - Italy
    I'm really sorry for the delay :(
    Anyways, the expression in English is from a comment to Poe's poem, To Helen:
    Lo! in yon brilliant window-niche
    How statue-like I see thee stand,
    The agate lamp within thy hand!
    Ah, Psyche, from the regions which
    Are Holy Land!

The rest of the text is in Italian (it's an essay for my high school final exam, so it's mostly in Italian, while the part about English literature is in English), and the expression is used in one of my sources; here are two sentences (I'll attempt a quick translation if needed):
    "Nelle due trattazioni più ricche del mito di Elena all’interno della letteratura latina, quella nell’Eneide e quella della tragedia senecana Troiane, la regina di Sparta è associata all’immagine della donna portatrice di fiaccola"
    "Anche Artemide ed Ecate (già nel secolo V a.C. identificata con Artemide) sono divinità portatrici di fiaccole"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    For "divinità portatrici di fiaccole" , "torchbearing divinities" would be right. For "donne portatrice di fiaccola", you could say " lady bearing a torch",or "female torchbearer".

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    " I think "lady bearing a torch" or "Lady bearing a torch" has slightly more gravitas. I was thinking along the lines of the "Lady of the Beasts" on Minoan artefacts.But there isn't a lot of difference.

Last edited:

FloresAmarillas

Italian - Italy
    I think I'll go for "Lady bearing a torch" as you suggested =) Thanks for your help!
    And yes, I'd use "goddesses" too. Divinità is a synonim so that the word "goddess" isn't repeated too often, but goddesses is definitely more appropriate.