donner un coup de coude à quelqu'un

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by AnneBD, Sep 19, 2012.

1. AnneBD Member

Paris, France
    French French
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if 'to rib someone' can sometimes mean something like 'donner un coup de coude à quelqu'un' to attract his/her attention. I only found a reference to the meaning of "make fun of someone" and it doesn't seem to fit with the context I have, which is a situation where a guy "ribs" his friend as if to attract his attention to a pretty girl nearby... Is it a possible meaning of 'to rib' in BE?
    Thanks!

2. Santana2002 Senior Member

France
    English, from Ireland
    For me, to rib someone means to tease them, to make fun of them, whereas 'to elbow someone' or 'to nudge someone' or 'to give someone a dig in the ribs' means to attract someone's attention by pushing your elbow into their ribs.

3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    That's generally true in US English as well. Can you give us a sentence or two, AnneBD?

4. AnneBD Member

Paris, France
    French French
    It's a situation where a woman starts to take off her shirt in front of 2 window cleaners, but for one of them only. Here goes the text : "she starts slowly unbuttoning her blouse. The window cleaner ribs his partner unable to believe his luck." Does that help?

5. AnneBD Member

Paris, France
    French French
    Thank you Santana and Kelly B, I got a revised version of the text where it said "he elbows his partner in the ribs", so my original idea was right but some words were missing. No wonder...