don't be bombastic

veracity

Don't you think the following sentence bombastic? In every now and then I decide to write a cover letter, and I put it in my drawer...

" I want to spend the next ten years of my career so as to prove to myself and to my family in first place, that I can perfectly measure up to the highest requirements of the best companies in the world."

Can you overhaul this one sentence for me?

Many thanks!

• emma42

British English
    It is difficult to express one's qualities without sounding arrogant or bombastic, isn't it?

The main problem with your sentence is that you don't actually say what you are going to do for the next ten years. "I want to spend the next ten years of my career [doing?] in order to prove..."

emma42

British English
    Right.

I intend to spend the next ten years striving to achieve the highest possible standards in terms of results and professionalism. My aim is to prove to myself and, above all, my family [isn't this a bit personal for a professional covering letter? Just a thought] that I can measure up to the expectations and requirements of the best companies in the world [I didn't use "highest" again because I've already used it in the first sentence].

< Previous | Next >