Don't believe the hype — it's a prequel!

elie copter

french
Hi everybody

I m a little frustraded and anxious too trying to understand this quote

If I m right this could mean don't think the hype is the true because it something created after to explain how things have been created or something like that

Anyway is anyone here to have a different explanation/traduction of these?

I d be very grateful...

Last edited:
  • Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    It's a reference to the Public Enemy track "Don't believe the hype" which contains the lyric "Don't believe the hype - it's a sequel". The writer is talking about a much-hyped but disappointing prequel (Prometheus, I imagine).

jumpaix

American English
    If you want to say it very in a very long (and not commonly said) way:

Do not believe that you should be excited. This movie ('prequel' normally means movie, or film, so I assume that this situation talks about a film) is far less cooler than the original movie(s).

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    "ne crois pas au matraquage publicitaire : c'est venu après coup" ?
    That would mean that the hype had come too late, wouldn't it? So far as there is any real meaning it is that prequels are generally disappointing, but I don't think anyone would have written this except as a reference to Public Enemy. If you translate it you lose that reference and just end up with an odd-sounding sentence.

If translating literally, would "ne crois pas au matraquage publicitaire : c'est une préquelle" be possible?

Micia93

France French
    to be honest, that's the first time I see "préquelle" :eek:
    WR call it an angliscism, but I can hardly imagine what it refers too in this context!
    is it an original film (like the very first "Tarzan" for instance) ?

Omelette

UK English
    I agree with Assurance. It must be a reference to that line. (Which I must say I didn’t know). And the problem in making sense of it, is that, out of context, the original line doesn’t seem to make much sense.
    What’s wrong with a sequel? Or, come to that, a prequel? Why shouldn’t you believe the hype? They don’t have to be bad.
    Godfather part 2 was a sequel. And often thought of as one of the greatest films ever made.
    The answer to your question, Micia, is you start with a novel/a film. Then you can have a sequel which relates events which occur after the previous work.
    Or a prequel – more unusual - which relates events which happened before.

Last edited:

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    A prequel is a film, book etc. that is released after the original but is set earlier in time (i.e. describes events taking place before those of the original).

It's an interesting translation problem. If I started a review of The King's Speech with the headline M. I. C. R. O. il a le poids des mots you would recognise that as a (clumsy!) reference to Face à la mer, but if you translated into English you would lose the reference and just end up with a bizarre title.

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    Yes absolutely. Sorry, I hadn't seen Omelette's post or your reply when I posted.

The difficulty of translating the word prequel is probably another reason for giving it a completely different title - based on an equivalent piece of music if possible - or just dropping the words it's a prequel.

elie copter

french
    "nyone who’s been paying attention to the evolution of “Prometheus” has been hearing director Ridley Scott, the actors and almost anybody else involved in the production, say it’s not a prequel to “Alien,” but instead includes the DNA of “Alien” (a clever allusion to the plot) and takes place in that world.To paraphrase Public Enemy: Don’t believe the hype — it’s a prequel!"

thank you all of you
    as a french speaker i may try to translate prequelle as les origines ou la genese .
    In this particular context the author quotes "public enemy" the rap band and the idea appears to be not this is season 0 or sort of trailer but have some of the ideas that the other "trues " aliens have used

do you thing i m on the right track?

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    OK, so in that case the hype in question is the film-makers' insistence that the film is not a prequel. The reviewer is saying "don't believe them when they say it's not a prequel - it is!". In other words the film-makers are claiming that it's not season 0, but the reviewer does not accept it.

< Previous | Next >