don't bother me

faith8

Italian - Italy
Hi all,
Could you please help me to translate in Italian this expression.
I found different meaning such as

"Non preoccuparti"

and

"Non rompere " nel senso di "non disturbare"

But they are very different !!

Thanks

• lsp

NY
    US, English
    Which way in English do you mean don't bother? We need context. Each could be translated differently.

I'll get you some more sugar for your coffee.
    The waiter will be here in a minute, please don't bother.

Don't bother! I asked you ten times already, so I did it myself.

He's resting, don't bother him until he wakes.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    faith8 said:
    Hi all,
    Could you please help me to translate in Italian this expression.
    I found different meaning such as

"Non preoccuparti"

and

"Non rompere " nel senso di "non disturbare"

But they are very different !!

Thanks
    Don't bother can mean don't worry about something as in,
    Don't bother to cook dinner tonight; we'll eat out!
    or can be said sarcastically as in,
    Husband who doesn't want to go to the movies says to his wife, Do you want me to come with you to the pictures tonight? Wife says, Don't bother!

faith8

Italian - Italy
    Sul dizionario Oxford trovo la traduzione per "don't bother" = "lascia perdere" e altri significati.

Può essere usato per dire ad un ragazzo di smetterla di infastire una ragazza??

Il sesnso è: don't bother = smettila di infastidirmi, (in tono infastidito, non mi interessi).

Grazie

lsp

NY
    US, English
    faith8 said:
    Sul dizionario Oxford trovo la traduzione per "don't bother" = "lascia perdere" e altri significati.

Il sesnso è: don't bother = smettila di infastidirmi, (in tono infastidito, non mi interessi).

Grazie
    In that sense it requires an object: Don't bother me/him/your little brother, etc.

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA

Grazie
    I trying to find the most common Italian expression that would be used in exactly this situation, between two children (siblings).

In English: Don't bother me!

I know smettila is common, but it doesn't have the exact meaning.
    I translated this as: Non scocciarmi / Non seccarmi!, but I get the feeling those aren't common.
    Is -
    smettila di infastidirmi - the most common expression for this in Italian?
    It seems like a long-winded expression for a child to use.

Cynthia M.

English- United States
    If we're talking about young siblings, I don't think they would even use a form of "bother," they're more likely to say "lasciami stare." Another common expression is "non rompere" or "basta rompere!"

Last edited:

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
    If we're talking about young siblings, I don't they would even use a form of "bother," they're more likely to say "lasciami stare." Another common expression is "non rompere" or "basta rompere!"
    I think non rompere works, thanks!

I had overlooked it because I often associate "non rompere le palle" with "dare tregua a qualcuno"
    which – I think – might be more of an English association.

Thanks again Cynthia

Last edited:

Cynthia M.

English- United States
    "Don't bother me" is intrinsically rude. "Non rompere" is so common that it isn't even perceived as being really rude or aggressive anymore, at least among children, this may have to do with the general deterioration of manners. :mad: "Basta rompere" is more rude than "non rompere." "Non mi scocciare" has a regional flavor- I've lived in Naples and in the Veneto, children in the Veneto are unlikely to say it.

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    I propose a possible option for "don't bother me" = "quit/stop getting on my nerves" = "piantala di seccarmi/rompermi le scatole".

Bye,

Benzene

Last edited:

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
    In inglese "dont bother" e "don't bother me" sono completamente diverso.

"Dont bother me" è maleducato e vuol dire smettila di infastidirmi
    "Dont bother" vuol dire non disturbarti, e non è maleducato.

Forse questo ha causato confusione.

Last edited:

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Yes, the wife could definitely answer: "Non disturbarti", with irony. One possible translation for "to bother = to annoy someone" that I think has been overlooked is "dare fastidio/infastidire", so "don't bother me!" might be "Non darmi fastidio!".

< Previous | Next >