dont chacun pourra apprécier

janac

English
My question is: does "chacun" refer to "la famille"? So that the end part is, "letters of which each person can appreciate the content"?

La famille nous a toutefois communiqué un grand nombre de pièces et courriers dont chacun pourra apprécier la teneur.

• Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonjour,

No, chacun does not refer to la famille, it means each and every person here (or who wil be aware of these documents).

zwim

français
    I think it also emphasize the fact that the pieces sent were of great quality.
    It means, whoever will read these letters (the expert or you maybe), will have no choice but to reach the conclusion that these pieces content (la teneur) is impressive.

If you say ... dont on pourra apprécier la teneur, which is very close, there is still a possibility that these things are good but not as valuable as the family claims. It's a bit subtle.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Is "chacun" like "tout le monde/n'importe qui" here ["whose contents anyone can appreciate/can be appeciated by anyone"?] Note that in English, the verb "appreciate" can mean either "be thankful for" or "understand", presumably the latter here.

zwim

français
    yes chacun means anyone (n'importe qui), it is more powerful than tout le monde, chacun means that if you pick someone randomly, with all his individuality, he will be convinced like any other else.

apprécier has multiple meanings in french too, here it is more in the sense of acknowledge+like than appraise, assess (in some way the writer has already assessed the value for us).

zwim

français
    It is the meaning, but the way it is said in the original sentence is more humble.
    I try to explain subtilities, so i have somehow to exagerate things a bit to make my point.

The writer does not want to brag the pieces are formidable in case someone would disagree, yet he truly thinks they are and less us know it, but keeps some reserve/discretion.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >