Don't forget to release/take off the parking brake

Maranello_rosso

Russian
Hello everyone.
Could you tell me please?

How do native English speakers say in a real life?

Please, don't forget to release the parking brake!
Please, don't forget to take off the parking brake!

Thank you in advance

• suzi br

English / England
    Yes, in the UK it's a handbrake.
    A neighbour made me sit in his new car yesterday and the handle for the handbrake was missing. It's just a little button, next to the "mobile phone tray" they have put in the space instead!
    We were definitely discussing how to "put it on" and "take it off" but in a driving lesson context I could imagine saying "release" .

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We say handbrake too. I might say 'Make sure the handbrake is off!' but 'Release the handbrake' is fine too.

natkretep

Even when it's operated with a foot pedal?
    Ah, yes, I forgot when we had the Hyundai Trajet. I think we said handbrake thingy or something vague because didn't know what to call it - but I think that would properly be the parking brake.

Our current car has a handbrake that you pull up with your left hand (with the driver's seat on the right).

Myridon

English - US
    I never had/drove a car like that.
    Maybe people call such a thing a parking brake, but I have never noticed it.
    Interesting. Other than sports cars, hand brakes have become quite uncommon over here .
    Checking some European luxury cars, I see that they have switched from a real lever to various electronic controls that are basically a button near where the lever used to be (some times a "button" that you pull up on) - "finger brakes" ;).

suzi br

English / England
    Yes. Finger brakes. That’s what my pal had in his sporty VW. :D

It’s one of those things where tech moves on but the old vocabulary will stay stuck in our old brains.

sdgraham

USA English
    Checking some European luxury cars, I see that they have switched from a real lever to various electronic controls that are basically a button near where the lever used to be (some times a "button" that you pull up on) - "finger brakes" ;).
    My Subaru is neither European nor a luxury car, but it has this system as well.:)

The owner's manual calls it an "electronic parking brake.":cool:

Added note: The operator doesn't need a human reminder to release it since not only is there a red warning on the instrument panel, but the vehicle will not move when it is engaged.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I never had/drove a car like that.
    Maybe people call such a thing a parking brake, but I have never noticed it.
    What you call a handbrake, I call a parking brake or an emergency brake. I've never seen the pushbutton or foot-operated versions.

natkretep

Here's discussion on the term:
    side brake / handbrake

From there it is clear that handbrake or hand brake is not exclusively BrE, but parking brake or emergency brake is preferred in AmE. (Handbrake is in the American and British WR dictionaries, with no regional labelling.)

zaffy

Polish
    So when the parking brake lever has been reduced to a button on modern cars, what verbs do I use? engage/disengage the parking brake? put on/take off? activate/release?

sdgraham

USA English
    My Subaru Owner's Manual says:
    Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic
    parking brake. You can apply/release the
    parking brake by operating the parking
    brake switch.
    To apply: Depress the brake pedal and
    pull up the parking brake switch.
    To release: Press the parking brake
    switch firmly while the ignition switch is
    in the “ON” position and the brake pedal is
    depressed.​

Myridon

English - US
    I've never seen the push button or foot-operated versions.
    I have never knowingly been in a car with a "fly-by-wire" push button, but I didn't think to look for one. Next time you ride in someone else's car, check the driver's footwell, high up, on the left side. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    I have never knowingly been in a car with a "fly-by-wire" push button, but I didn't think to look for one. Next time you ride in someone else's car, check the driver's footwell, high up, on the left side. :)
    In my Subaru, it's on the console between the seats.:)

Uncle Jack

British English
    In my Subaru, it's on the console between the seats.:)
    My Subaru just has a small pushbutton (push in/pull out) on the dashboard, below the wing mirror control. There is no need to depress the foot pedal, and it releases automatically when you depress the accelerator (gas pedal).

So when the parking brake lever has been reduced to a button on modern cars, what verbs do I use? engage/disengage the parking brake? put on/take off? activate/release?
    "Apply"/"release" works with whatever mechanism is used. "Engage" is rather a formal word, and I really cannot imagine anyone using "disengage". I don't see much wrong with "put on", or "take off" for that matter, but "release" is easily the best word for...erm...releasing the handbrake.

I still call it a handbrake, even though it is a pushbutton (although I might say parking brake sometimes instead).

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I pretty much only ride in my car and my wife's, and they both have handbrakes. I'm pretty sure the only buttons I've seen in the driver's footwell were for the high beams.

Myridon

English - US
    I pretty much only ride in my car and my wife's, and they both have handbrakes. I'm pretty sure the only buttons I've seen in the driver's footwell were for the high beams.
    It's not a button - it's a pedal. I haven't seen the button high-beams for at least 10 years.

< Previous | Next >