Don't fret

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I wonder if I can use "Don't fret" in the following situations:

1)
I failed my driving test twice, someone learned how to drive with me had already got her license, this really dispirited me. I told my father this, he said:

Don't fret!

2)
I don't have enough students to teach, and also my money is running out. But I met such situations before and finally before my money ran out, some students came. This time when such a thought came to my mind, I said to myself:

Don't fret!

I wonder if it's natural to say so.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It certainly works as far as the meaning goes, but it comes across to me as just a little bit dated: I haven't come across it anywhere in BE in quite a while.

If I were saying those two sample sentences, I think I'd go for a more modern colloquial alternative: "Don't stress!" :)

owlman5

English-US
    That's an interesting report on the status of "fret" in the U.K., suzi and Donny. "Fret" isn't wildly popular over here either, but it isn't restricted to the speech of people who were born in the 1920s.:D Here in the U.S., I hear it a little more often among southerners than I do among people from other parts of the country.

< Previous | Next >