don't have dick on

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Mike's investigating the drug lord Lyman, who almost killed Mike by blowing up his car. Now Mike's requesting another car from his C.O.
Mike: Lyman's moving 50 million. This is the big one, Rog, and I got him.
Lt.: Mike, you don't have dick on Lyman. What you've got is a wet suit, a bad attitude and a blown-up car.
K-9, film

I think 'dick', meaning 'penis', means 'anything' here. Am I right?
Thanks.

• The Newt

English - US
    The idea is the same as "you don't have shit on Lyman," in other words, "you have nothing on Lyman," no evidence against him.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes but "dick/shit" themselves here mean "anything/even a small amount of" (when used in negative structures like that). I think it's like in "I don't give a shit what happens."
    Is it correct?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I'm sorry; I don't understand what you're asking.
    I meant that in the OP, "dick" could be replaced by "anything" with the same meaning: "you don't have anything on Lyman".
    However, if we rephrased it like "You have dick/shit on Layman.", would it still mean the same? I.e., could 'dick/shit' mean "nothing"?...

The Newt

English - US
    I meant that in the OP, "dick" could be replaced by "anything" with the same meaning: "you don't have anything on Lyman".
    However, if we rephrased it like "You have dick/shit on Layman.", would it still mean the same? I.e., could 'dick/shit' mean "nothing"?...
    Both can be used, but the negative makes it more emphatic (and clearer).

You've got shit on him.
    You don't have shit on him.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    And when used in the positive — You've got shit on him. — can it only mean "You've got nothing on him.", or could it also mean "You've got almost nothing on him."?:)

The Newt

English - US
    And when used in the positive — You've got shit on him. — can it only mean "You've got nothing on him.", or could it also mean "You've got almost nothing on him."?:)
    "You've got nothing" or "you've got nothing of consequence, nothing worth mentioning."

< Previous | Next >