Don't include me

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I was talking to a test interviewer and a woman wanted to take a photo of the interview, is it natural for the interview to say:

Don't include me.

If he wants to tell the woman to stop taking the photo of him?

Thanks a lot

• Silver

Thanks a lot, FF.

If he doesn't want the photographer to take the picture of him, can he also say so?

lingobingo

English - England
    In that specific context, I would expect “Don’t put me in it” or “I don’t want to be in it” (meaning the picture). “Don’t include me” does, of course, mean the same, but it’s perhaps a slightly less unlikely way to say it.

Myridon

English - US
    Your answers to questions are included in the interview. Do you want to remove your answers as well?
    Your context is a little confusing. There's "I", "an interviewer", "a woman", "the interview" (is that the interviewer or the interviewee), "him" and "he". How many people are there?

Silver

Your context is a little confusing. There's "I", "an interviewer", "a woman", "the interview" (is that the interviewer or the interviewee), "him" and "he". How many people are there?
    No, we were having a conversation; it was an English Club. The interviewer was there and he was an interview of IELTS test. I was talking to the interviewer, a woman was trying to take a photo of him. I hope I've made myself clear.

Thanks a lot, Myridon and Lingo.

Silver

Hi.

I have a new question.

Someone in a chatroom said something to the organizer like "Where is the leader of our room, everyone wants to hear your voice so speak" to the leader. I think it's very rude and I said to him "Don't include me". Is it natural to say it?

Intended meaning:

(Don't count me as a person who wants them to speak, that's just you what want them to speak.)

lingobingo

English - England
    It doesn’t strike me as particularly rude. And “don’t include me” is a natural phrase, but too vague for this situation, unless you explain what you don’t want to be included in.

Silver

It doesn’t strike me as particularly rude. And “don’t include me” is a natural phrase, but too vague for this situation, unless you explain what you don’t want to be included in.
    Thank you so much, Lingo.

I think when saying "Don't include me" the one who said that would know what I meant. But I'll tell him the reason. :D

lingobingo

English - England
    But, as I said, I’m not convinced that his comment was meant aggressively/rudely. Could you have misconstrued it? Normally, if you say that you want to hear someone’s opinion, it’s a compliment.

Silver

But, as I said, I’m not convinced that his comment was meant aggressively/rudely. Could you have misconstrued it? Normally, if you say that you want to hear someone’s opinion, it’s a compliment.
    Hello Lingobingo. In order to provide complete context, I went out of my way and found what the man said in the chatroom. The room has more than 370 people, and it's very active. I am sure he was asking the leader (the organizer is a student, very busy) to say something and he said "everyone wants to hear your voice". This is rude to me because I don't want someone might be up to something to say something simply because one wants to hear their voice. This is very different from your "hear someone's opinion", which is good and productive.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Rude Person: Everyone wants to hear your voice!
    Silver: Not everyone! Don’t be so pushy!

Most people would assume that you’re the person (or one of the people) who doesn’t.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >