don't lean back on your chair

Charlie Parker

English Canada
My students are forever doing this. It's dangerous and distracting because inevitably they fall over and make a big scene. Also, it's hard on the chairs. I want to be sure I'm saying this correctly in French. I think I've read:

Ne te balance pas sur ta chaise.

Is that right? Are there other expressions I should consider. Another way of saying that in English is "Don't tip/tilt your chair back." I'll post that as a separate thread just in case it's useful to someone else. Merci d'avance.

• Laürenar

France, français
    Yes, that correct and I cannot see another way to say it (I've been told that a thousand times in my youth).
    As for me, my English teacher used the expression "stop rocking on your chair!" when I was doing it in English lesson. I wonder now if it is really correct whan I see the way you say it.

Charlie Parker

English Canada
    That's correct also. I wouldn't say it because to me it suggests a rocking chair which is meant for rocking, but it is still perfectly correct. I think any English speaker would understand it.

Laürenar

France, français
    Another suggestion to be a little useful on this thread. :)
    "Arrête de te balancer sur ta chaise !", if the student often leans back.

Gina Fr.

French (France)
    Hey everyone,

"to lean back in one's chair", is it only "se balancer sur sa chaise" or could it be "se reculer dans sa chaise", "s'adosser à sa chaise" ? J'ai le cas et c'est une chair avec des arms, donc plutôt un fauteuil en français, et je n'imagine pas qui que ce soit se balancer dans un fauteuil...

Gina Fr.

French (France)
    Thanks Carog. Sure, here is the sentence: "He leaned back in the chair. While he was talking, his fingers tapped on the wooden arm of the chair."

pointvirgule

langue française
    Tout comme carog, il me semble que to lean back, dans le contexte de Gina, suppose qu'on s'installe confortablement. Il se cala dans son fauteuil le dit bien.

< Previous | Next >