Don't lean *sideways?* in your chair

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

If you lean back in your chair, sooner or later you will fall on your back, OK.
But some people lean sideways / to the side in their chair.
What are they told?

"Don't lean sideways in your chair"?
"Don't lean (on)to the side in your chair"?

Thanks!

• sound shift

English - England
    Why is this instruction being given? Who's giving it, and to whom?
    "Don't lean sideways in your chair" sounds unlikely to me. "Don't lean (on)to the side in your chair" seems even more improbable. "Sit up straight!" is much more idiomatic - but we need a context.

Last edited:

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Why is this instruction being given? Who's giving it, and to whom?
    "Don't lean sideways in your chair" sounds unlikely to me. "Don't lean (on)to the side in your chair" seems even more improbable. "Sit up straight!" is much more idiomatic - but we need a context.
    Hm, context, OK! I'm trying to be more specific then:
    A teacher says it to their student who keeps leaning to the side in their chair such that the two legs of the chair on one side don't touch the floor anymore, and the teacher is worried that the student will fall on their side and hurt themselves.

"Sit up straight!" sounds to me a little bit too little specific in this case. (Like, a "funny" student might hold their upper body straight and fall on their side with the chair as a reaction...? :) )

london calling

UK English
    I think the problem here is that the situation is improbable ( I can't remember ever seeing anyone doing that) so anything you say is going to sound odd. I'd probably say "Stop doing that!" and be done with it.:D

< Previous | Next >