don't let the door hit you in the ass

• Fedora

Guyana/English
    This expression is normally used in a fight between two people. The scenario would be where Person A is leaving a room, probably still screaming and cursing, and is about to slam the door. Person B is just as enraged and is probably glad to see Person A go. So Person B would say "Don't let the door hit you in the ass" meaning "I don't care if you leave or not"

Does that help any?

lsp

NY
    US, English
    "Don't let the door hit you..." means leave quickly, so quickly that the door swing won't have had a chance to arc back enough to hit your behind as you walk pass over the threshhold.

MiaV

Italian
    thanks everyone. i know the verbal definition of what that phrase means. i wanted it translated to Italian.

mimitabby

usa, english
    MiaV said:
    thanks everyone. i know the verbal definition of what that phrase means. i wanted it translated to Italian.
    The trouble with an exact translation is that the person hearing it will notice first that it sounds funny because the saying does not have an equivalent
    in their language so it will not have the same effect.

"As american as blueberry pie" This might mean something literal, but an american will think, "don't they mean apple?"

< Previous | Next >