Don't make <mushy> patties.

< Previous | Next >

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I work at a fast food restaurant as the griller. My job is to grill meat patties on the grill. I was talking to a co-worker the other day, and I wanted to tell him to not make the patties "mushy". I don't know if this word, "mushy", is appropriate here. Basically, I want him to NOT make the patties fall into bits, or become crumbly/breaking apart. Can someone tell me please, thanks.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    "mushy" does somehow make sense, for what it's worth.

I'm at a loss for how to describe it. (I have worked in a fast-food restaurant too.)

I guess I would say:
    Can you make the patties more condensed?
    Can you make the patties more solid?
    Can you make the patties so that they don't fall apart so easily when I grill them? <-- Maybe long-winded, but I think this is what you mean.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's not necessarily overworking them, but rather in the preparation. Hard to describe.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Mushy describes the texture for me - soft and no bite. In the UK, 'mushy peas' is something you might have with fish and chips. If you say, 'Don't make them too mushy' (yes, that can work for me), I'd think you were telling them not to add too much liquid to the patties or cutlets so that they held together well.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Mushy" doesn't go so well with a product that's mostly meat. I'd say, "Make the patties firmer, they're falling apart."

stez

english - australia
    I'm with velisarius on this. Perhaps, if you are talking about the mixture prior to cooking you might say: Don't make the patties too wet.

panzerfaust0

mandarin
    Thanks to all for replying.

I thought about it some more today, and I have come to the conclusion that "mushy" seems to refer to something that has a certain amount of liquid in it. Something that has a mud-like (or maybe slush-like) consistency. For example, mashed potatoes has some water in them and they can be called "mushy". And I think that burger patties have little liquid in them. So I think the better word to describe them might not be "mushy", but rather "crumbly".

Can someone tell me if my analysis is correct? Thanks.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    Another way to describe the patties you do not want is "loose":

Don't make the patties so loose; they won't hold together when you cook them.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >