Don't mention it [BE?]

mariec21

French
Good evening,

I was wondering if the expression "Don't mention it" was only used in the US or if British people used it as well.

Thanks in advance!

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    That's very interesting to my AmE 'ears/eyes'. This must be another BrE/AmE difference.
    Just as Kate said, I'd not find it old fashioned at all (In the U.S.).

I think I learn just as much from these sort of threads as non-natives do. I'd never have guessed that difference in our dialects.

Embonpoint

English--American
    For sure. I think she and I are just both so astonished that it would be different in AmE/BrE. Just doesn't seem like 'one of those things' you'd expect to differ from our side of the pond. :D
    WR never ceases to amaze me with the differences between the two.

e2efour

UK English
    Why is the assumption made that Don't mention it is old-fashioned in BE? Panjandrum said nothing of the sort, only that it sounded old-fashioned to him.
    One of the difficulties about making statements about whether a phrase is old-fashioned is that not many people have access to a corpus of spoken English, since such texts are often restricted to researchers.

In the publicly available BNC and COCA corpuses, at any rate, there are 47 and 92 examples respectively.

(If anyone knows of the existence of a corpus of spoken English that can be accesssed, please let me know!)

Biffo

English - England
    I'm not sure whether to call the expression old-fashioned or formal but in my experience (BE) the phrase "You're welcome" is much more current and even that is eclipsed by the frequency of 'No problem'.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >