Hello. everyone,
Please take a look at this question:

- I'm sorry to have kept you waiting.
-______ ,Bill.
A. You're welcome B. Go ahead C. Don't mention it D. No problem
The answer is C
--------------------------
If I thank someone for his/her help, maybe I will hear A, D
If I say sorry to someone, it seems I will hear C. But can D also be possible?

Could someone please explain the difference between C and D on such a occasion as the question mentions above?

Many many thanks in advance.

• SpanishStudent_39

USA (English)
    Either C or D is correct. A and B are not correct.

You can generally say "no problem" or "don't mention it" after someone apologises to you, or after someone thanks you. They are used about the same way, although I think of "no problem" as a better response when someone apologises to you.

Generally, "don't mention it" means "don't worry about it", and "no problem" means "it was not a problem or inconvenience to me".

If your friend thanks you for building him a house by hand, you could still say "no problem". Even though building the house was very difficult and not in any way convienient, what you mean by "no problem" is "it was not an inconvienience that I grudge, considering that it was for you".

Joelline

American English
    Both C and D are equally possible. If the test directions say, "Pick the best way of completing each sentence," then I probably would pick C only because "No problem" is, perhaps, just a little bit too informal as a reply to "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting" (made formal especially by the verb tense). But such a distinction on a test is being very, very picky, indeed.

< Previous | Next >