don't mention it , not at all , you're welcome

< Previous | Next >
  • alada

Panama Spanish
    I think they all are different ways of saying "you are welcome" and mean the same at the end of the day. The usage of any of these will also depend on the grade of formality.

kw10

English (USA)
    I would never say "not at all", I think it´s the most formal of the group. "Don´t mention it" also sounds a bit formal. "You´re welcome" is kind of in the middle, it works for both formal and informal situations. The very informal ways of saying the same thing are "no problem" and "sure". ("Sure" technically has a different meaning but it´s sometimes used in place of "you´re welcome" in very informal situations and when the favor you´ve done is pretty small.)

Hope this helps!

P.S. Finrod, in English it´s not very common to end a letter or a post with "greetings" - that´s more like a very formal way to say hello. But I understand you mean it as "saludos" in Spanish :) So saludos a ti también!

bondia

English-England
    I would never say "not at all", I think it´s the most formal of the group. "Don´t mention it" also sounds a bit formal. "You´re welcome" is kind of in the middle, it works for both formal and informal situations. The very informal ways of saying the same thing are "no problem" and "sure". ("Sure" technically has a different meaning but it´s sometimes used in place of "you´re welcome" in very informal situations and when the favor you´ve done is pretty small.)

Hope this helps!

P.S. Finrod, in English it´s not very common to end a letter or a post with "greetings" - that´s more like a very formal way to say hello. But I understand you mean it as "saludos" in Spanish :) So saludos a ti también!
    Agree with all of that. Would just like to add another informal way of saying the same: "forget it", for when someone thanks you for some small favour, its like "don't mention it" but more colloquial.
    Saludos a los dos:)

tas_sh

Farsi (Persian) - Azeri
    Hi Everybody,
    Would you provide me with a formal experession instead of " you are welcome"
    I will use it in a formal email to a person, with a higher position than me at my work, in reply of his appreciation for what i have already done for him.
    Would you please help me in this regard as im not native english speaker?
    Thanks in advance,

Kerry56

English USA
    I think the meaning is the same, but style and ocassions are different, the question of formality takes place

jackiechanbabe

USA
    English-USA
    Hi Everybody,
    Would you provide me with a formal experession instead of " you are welcome"
    I will use it in a formal email to a person, with a higher position than me at my work, in reply of his appreciation for what i have already done for him.
    Would you please help me in this regard as im not native english speaker?
    Thanks in advance,
    You could say "You're welcome. It was my pleasure."

NYShakes

English - US
    It's possible, I suppose, but I'd likely say "it's OK."

"Hey, sorry I was late yesterday."

"It's OK."

I might also say "no problem" or "it's fine."

*How* these are said (tone of voice, facial gestures) can affect the meaning a lot. :)

Best,
    Mike

jackiechanbabe

USA
    English-USA
    Could anyone tell me if it´s possible to use "Not at all" as a reply to an apology? Or is it always a formal response to "Thank you"?
    If someone says "I'm sorry," replying "Not at all" is not very good.

Better responses are:
    It's okay.
    It's alright.
    It's no problem.
    No problem.
    There's no need to apologise.

Or, if they really did something bad and they apologise, and you are happy they said sorry because you really were hurt:
    I forgive you.
    Thank you for apologising.
    I appreciate your apology.

But these are not common and only are said pretty formally and in situations where someone did something pretty bad.

tn76

Spanish
    In the UK it is very common to say "cheers" as "you're welcome". It is informal and friendly. Cheers is also used for saying hello, bye bye or thank you though!

LitaSt

italiano
    Hi everybody!
    I show you a conversation I had with a friend in which I told her "Congratulations, you did a fantastic job"
    She answered me "Thank you very much, I appreciate it!"
    Is it ok if I reply saying "Don't mention it"?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hi everybody!
    I show you a conversation I had with a friend in which I told her "Congratulations, you did a fantastic job"
    She answered me "Thank you very much, I appreciate it!"
    Is it ok if I reply saying "Don't mention it"?
    Lita, I think saying anything in this situation is a little over the top, I would just smile.

< Previous | Next >