Don't mess with Maui when he's on a breakaway

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MrRise, Feb 3, 2017.

1. MrRise

MrRise Senior Member

Russian
    Hello everyone! Could you help me to get the meaning of this sentence: " Don't mess with Maui when he's on a breakaway "

It's from Moana, a song called 'You're welcome'. I can't find the meaning of 'breakway', I mean what would be reasonable meaning, but not the act of escape, because I don't think Maui is going to escape from somewhere?

Actually, it's 'to be on an breakaway'. Hm.. While Maui was singing it, he jumped above with a stone in his hands, and then threw it into a snake's moth. That's the context! I googled breakaway + basketball, and there are a lot of results.

I got it all, but, the reason he said it? Just to be in rhyme? So a breakaway is escape from defensive players (Yeah, first definition!), and to be on a breakaway means to do escaping from defensive players? Why do I think it's just to be in rhyme, a dmeigod Maui wouldn't have someone to play basketball with?

I'll try to make an example: James fell down while he was on a breakaway. -> While James was escaping from defensive players, he fell down.

Could you say if I'm right? Thank you a lot! :)

2. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
    I killed an eel
    I buried its guts .................................................... (rhyme)
    Sprouted a tree, now you got coconuts.................... (rhyme)
    What's the lesson
    What is the take-away ........................................... (rhyme) (what you must learn from the lesson)
    Don't mess with Maui when he's on the break-away= (rhyme) Don't interfere with Maui when he's on the loose

on the loose- free; unconfined

3. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    In several sports, a breakaway is when a player with the ball (puck, whatever) passes all the defensive players and heads toward the goal with no defensive players between him and the goal (except for the goalie, in sports with a goalie). This generally leads to an easy score.

So yes, you have the right idea, MrRise.