don't move?

Mr Bones

España - Español
Hello, friends. Here you are the whole the situation: I'm starting to teach some English to my 24-month daughter. As she already speaks quite well (Spanish, obviously), now I'm beginning to tell her some English sentences, all of them pretty simple. I wouldn't brag about my daughter (parents always do it), but I can assure you that this method works (even if it’s carried out by a Spaniard speaking a painfully broken English): last night she surprised me big time when she told "come here" to our dog (who is, in fact, the actual Mr Bones).

That's why I'd like to ask you a very simple question: what do you tell your children when they keep moving and shouting and you want them to be still? Don't move?

Because I think that "be quiet" means only "shut up". Or does it also mean stay still?

Could you provide me with a couple of expressions (the simplest you can think of) to add to my list (I'm preparing a list of expressions I want her to understand and, eventually, to be able to use).

Thank you (You're doing a good deed:) ).

Mr Bones.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Going far back into my memories, Mr. Bones, I might have said, if I had used English with my sons, things such as:

Calm down please.
    Calm down!
    Please try to be gentle. (Implies being gentle with another person or object...)
    Stop jumping around.
    Quiet!!!!

It might sound very old fashioned, but you could also say,
    "Be still!"

regards,
    cuchu

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    That's why I'd like to ask you a very simple question: what do you tell your children when they keep moving and shouting and you want them to be still? Don't move?
    I hear "shut up and sit still" frequently.

Of course, as a model parent of a model child I never had occasion to utter such intolerant words. :)

Mr Bones

España - Español
    Hi, maxi. Thank you. I'd like to ask about the word quiet too. If you say be quiet, does this refer exclusively to talking or shouting or can mean don't move as well?

I've always associated the word quiet with absence of sound, but I'm not sure. When I tried to find this out in the dictionary, I got mixed up. And it seems so simple...

Thank you. Mr Bones.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    I would never use "be quiet" to mean stop moving.
    I would imagine that those who might are meaning "be quiet" but, by an aggressive tone, are cowing youngsters into not moving - think of a classroom full of unruly students and a teacher who shouts "BE QUIET!" at them. They would likely return to their seats and sit silently still.

~ or not :D

< Previous | Next >