Don't Scream

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
A: What are you doiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing?
B: Come on man! Don't scream ans shout that way, I'm not deaf.

- Did I use the right clause here "Don't scream..............that way"?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• gasman

Canada, English
    I don't believe that "scream" and "shout" are the same thing. A scream has a sense of desperation to it, whereas a shout is just a loud vocalisation of, usually, words to either let them carry over a distance, or to emphasise their import.

Trisia

Romanian
    I think you're right about "scream" and "shout" not being the exact same thing.

Nevertheless, this time we have some sort of context: "What are you doing!" -- I wouldn't call it both a scream and a shout. It's just an utterance, it's not like the guy's been completely hysterical for the past five minutes (well, we're not exactly sure about that)

So I'd go for either "Stop yelling," or "No need to shout at me like that" or "Why are you screaming? I'm not deaf!"

london calling

UK English
    Hello, all!

I really don't think it's any use tearing a sentence or an expression apart when it's used normally in British English (as I pointed out in my post).

I imagine we say scream and shout simply for the sake of emphasis.....

Trisia

Romanian
    I really don't think it's any use tearing a sentence or an expression apart when it's used normally in British English (as I pointed out in my post).
    OK, I'll give you the "scream and shout" if you tell Namlan to give up the "that way" part, which in my opinion doesn't sound well with the rest, especially if it's a usual expression... how's that? :D

london calling

UK English
    OK, I'll give you the "scream and shout" if you tell Namlan to give up the "that way" part, which in my opinion doesn't sound well with the rest, especially if it's a usual expression... how's that? :D
    Hello, Trisia!

Sorry, no deal!:D

We would quite happily say (or scream and shout :D !):

Will you stop screaming and shouting that way!!!!!

AngelEyes

English - United States
    A: What are you doiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing?
    B: Come on man! Don't scream ans shout that way, I'm not deaf.
    NamLan
    Well, if we're going to grab a magnifying glass and nitpick this to death...:D

Person A only said one sentence. The way it's written, it sounds like he's screaming it because of all those i's.

In order for him to add a shout to his actions, wouldn't he have to say something before that?

For example:
    "Hey,Dummy," he shouted. "What are you doiiiiiiiiiiiing?" he screamed.

B could then say he both shouted and screamed.

As written, A screamed. Or even screeched.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >