don't strongly believe / rely too much

epistolario

Tagalog
You have a very reliable dictionary, but your classmate uses an unreliable one with an unknown brand. She looks up a word in her dictionary and she was surprised. You are aware that your dictionary is saying something else:

Classmate: Wow, I didn't know that this term (that we use) is also used in Peru and Chile.
You: Don't strongly believe the regional labels in your dictionary. Mine says that it is used throughout the Andes region.

What is the most natural way of expressing the highlighted text? Here's my other alternative:

Classmate: Wow, I didn't know that this term is used throughout South America.
You: Don't rely too much in the regional labels in your dictionary. Mine says it is only used in the Southern Cone region.

• Copyright

American English
    Classmate: Wow, I didn't know that this term is used throughout South America.
    You: Don't rely too much on your dictionary's regional labels. Mine says it is only used in the Southern Cone region.

Your version is also all right ... except we use "rely ... on." I used my version because I think you want to call into question her choice of dictionary, which is better done by mentioning the "dictionary" a little sooner in the sentence.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Don't strongly believe
    You're right in looking for an alternative to this one. It's not idiomatic.

If you want to be very casually idiomatic you could say "Take those regional labels in your dictionary with a grain of salt.", meaning they might be accurate but likely aren't.

If you want more standard words you could say:
    "Don't take those regional labels in your dictionary too seriously."

The "rely on" one is fine, too.

More (i.e. additional) idiomatic options:
    Don't put a lot of stock in those labels.
    Don't take those labels as gospel.

I'm writing as an AE speaker. I don't know the use of these in BE.

< Previous | Next >