don't text me shit like that

< Previous | Next >

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I saw a comedy and I don't understand it:
I think, like a lot of guys, I'll never forget the one time I saw my dad's pen*s. I said, "Dad, don't text me shit like that.'

So is this a metaphor means 'his dad wants to insult him', or more dark thing, like 'illegal sexual relationship'?

Thanks in advance!:)

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The joke is that his own dad texted him a photo of his penis. :eek: You think at first that he accidentally saw his dad naked in the shower, so the following sentence is a surprise.

Steven David

English Standard American
    Hi, everyone!
    I saw a comedy and I don't understand it:
    I think, like a lot of guys, I'll never forget the one time I saw my dad's pen*s. I said, "Dad, don't text me shit like that.'

So is this a metaphor means 'his dad wants to insult him', or more dark thing, like 'illegal sexual relationship'?

Thanks in advance!:)

"shit like that"

Useless messages and nonsense that he or others could also find offensive - In this context, yes, that's what it means. However, it could refer to or mean something else in another context.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The joke is that his own dad texted him a photo of his penis. :eek: You think at first that he accidentally saw his dad naked in the shower, so the following sentence is a surprise.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is no reason to believe it's anything other than a made-up story created to be funny as a joke. No one would expect his father to do that and that's why it's funny. Because it's so absurd.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    It also suggests that his father is sending sexually explicit photos to someone intentionally (sexting) and accidentally sent it to his son ,( maybe because father's are understood to be less adept at social media than young people).

kentix

English - U.S.
    When you say it was a comedy, was it a movie that was a comedy movie or was it a stand-up comedy routine with a comedian standing on stage telling jokes?

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Thanks for your reply, kentix! It's a stand-up comedy routine, it's in Netflix, and the man called Anthony Jeselnik.:):thumbsup:

Packard

USA, English
    In general "don't text me shit like that" means "do not text me that type of information".

The type of information could vary by the people involved and the situation. It does not mean necessarily pictures or any obscene information. It could simply be something slightly or significantly embarrassing.

Other variations might be "Don't tell me shit like that", "Don't show me shit like that", etc.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's a stand-up comedy routine
    Then the chances are about 100% that he made the whole thing up as a joke.

It's a common enough experience for a child to accidentally see one or the other (or both) of their parents naked at some point when they (the child) are growing up, and people can relate to it.*

* Note this comedian is American and in American culture, unlike some others, there is no situation where a child would normally see their parent naked ever.

So he's taking that common experience, and the common current phenomenon of guys texting pictures of their private parts to others (not always by request or even wanted), which people can also relate to (at least indirectly) and he's combining them together in an absurd joke that takes people by surprise because no one would ever imagine a father doing that.

And I would bet a hundred dollars that his father never has. And he's probably embarrassed by the joke. Except he knows the kind of jokes his son makes so he's used to it.

This is from Wikipedia:

Anthony Jeselnik - Wikipedia

He is known for his dark comedy style, which emphasizes ironic misdirection, non sequiturs, biting insults, an arrogant demeanor, and a stage persona that frequently takes amoral stances.

I would call that particular joke an example of misdirection.

I think, like a lot of guys, I'll never forget the one time I saw my dad's pen*s.

That's the setup. Using "I'll never forget" and "the one time" suggests it was a long time ago when he was a child. That's the idea he is planting in the audience's head(s).

I said, "Dad, don't text me shit like that."

And that's the punch line. The situation is not at all like the mental picture suggested by the previous line. It wasn't in the past, it wasn't accidental and it's totally weird because of that. And that's why people laugh. And the fact that it's an older person using texting like that adds to the humor.

No one thinks it's a comment about his real father.

Last edited:

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Thanks, kentix! It's very very useful!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)So it's a common phenomenon that texting pictures of their private parts to others? I heard that someone would do that, but I never thought it's a common current phenomenon.

kentix

English - U.S.
    A United States congressman resigned from office after it was discovered he had been sending photos of his private parts to a sixteen-year-old girl. He was 47 years old and married. He accidentally tweeted a picture like that to the public. That's how it was discovered.

His name (which falls into the category of truth is stranger than fiction) is Anthony Weiner.

He got in trouble for doing the same thing several years later when he was running for mayor of New York. He eventually served time in prison.

There's a dating site that is famous for the users showing more pictures of private parts than "public" parts to people they've never met.

Last edited:

forgoodorill

Chinese
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)Thanks, kentix! It's very useful! You said
    His name (which falls into the category of truth is stranger than fiction) is Anthony Weiner.
    So the what's the strange part, his name, Weiner(I remember a similar vulgar word likes this)? Or his story?
    Thanks!:)

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)Thanks, kentix! It's very useful! You said

So the what's the strange part, his name, Weiner(I remember a similar vulgar word likes this)? Or his story?
    Thanks!:)
    Similar vulgar word.

Sexting is one of those things that might be fine between consenting adults except of course there's always a risk that it will get sent to the wrong person.

A man sending these kinds of things to women who don't expect or enjoy it falls on the spectrum of sexual harassment and even exhibitionism, like flashing the person, and there can be serious legal consequences.

A woman sending these kinds of texts to strangers risks being blackmailed or exploited ( see Amanda Todd in Canada).

I have no idea how common it is. I would suggest not participating in it ;)

< Previous | Next >