don't+verb+complement+either/neither?+complement

marieta de les trenes

catalan
Hi,
I'm trying to say something like "it doesn't focus on this target either/neither/nor on that other".
could anybody please tell me which is the good option? thanks a lot!

• Brautryðjandinn í Úlfsham

English - USA
    Hello!
    The only correct one is "it doesn't focus on this target either". The other two options would be correct like this:
    1. "it neither focuses on this target nor on that other one"
    The word "one" is obligatory in this kind of sentence. It is incorrect in English to say the words "nor" and "neither" after the word "not".
    So instead of saying "I don't want to go neither"
    you say: "I don't want to go either".
    I hope that this has helped you! Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you don't understand what I've written here!

marieta de les trenes

catalan
    Thank you very much, you're very kind!
    I'm not completely sure about my sentence, because I'm afraid I haven't explained it enough. What it exactly says is "
    they don’t focus on the target of the output configurations either on the unfaithful mapping". Is it correct, then? I wan't to say that they "don't focus on X and they also don't focus on Y".
    Thank you very much once again, and excuse me for the repetition: it's just that I want to make sure that I'm right!
    Bests,
    m.

jinti

Thank you very much, you're very kind!
    I'm not completely sure about my sentence, because I'm afraid I haven't explained it enough. What it exactly says is "
    they don’t focus on the target of the output configurations either on the unfaithful mapping". Is it correct, then? I wan't to say that they "don't focus on X and they also don't focus on Y".
    Thank you very much once again, and excuse me for the repetition: it's just that I want to make sure that I'm right!
    Bests,
    m.

They focus neither on the target of the output configurations nor on the unfaithful mapping.

The idea is that you put neither wherever your sentence begins to branch (that is, there are two places they're not focusing, so neither comes after focus). Then put nor between your two options.

You could also say:
    They do not focus on the target of the output configurations nor (do they focus) on the unfaithful mapping.

Do they focus is optional here. I would omit it to avoid repetition, but it's not grammatically incorrect.

Either is not possible as you have used it. You could say They do not focus on the target or on the unfaithful mapping either but this is more informal than the first sentence I wrote above.

< Previous | Next >