Oleg68

Russian
I want money, money, that's what I need,
I got Cadillac dreams, please mister don'tcha take it from me

What is "don'tcha"? Can't find a definition

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Copyright, but I'm curious about the source of the text, Oleg. Can you provide it?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I couldn't really link to it, Oleg.

This:
    I want money, money, that's what I need,
    I got Cadillac dreams, please mister don'tcha take it from me
    Give me money, money, more than I need, I got Cadillac dreams waitin' on me
    Cadillac dreams, Cadillac dreams http://www.lyrics.net/lyric/942652

Sketchy stuff, and poor grammar, in the lyrics. I'd use "doncha take them from me". :D

Remember that these are lyrics, and they are not good English. "don'tcha" or "doncha" are both slang.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It is "slang", Oleg. But I do use "don'tcha" or "doncha" in speech, every single day.

It's just typical American slang, and we don't think about it when we are speaking.

I would write "don't you", in correspondence, except in "chats", but I don't do that. :D

perpend

Banned
    American English
    :) That made my day.

I think we all do in our given language/dialect. That's what makes life more colorful ... and more interesting.

To stay on topic, that's what makes song lyrics more interesting, since they tend to use more slang.

But, I'm sure you know that. ;) At least we can make peace between the USA and Russia!

Oleg68

Russian
    I just do translate in Russian English songs. I've translated yet many songs.
    I want to translate exactly. That's why I ask here many questions about a song lyrics.
    Long live the friendship between Russia and the USA! :)

< Previous | Next >