doom-ridden?

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
His tale is about a pretty young wife of an elderly and doom-ridden carpenter--a wife who commits adultery with a young student.

What does "doom-ridden" mean here? Is he going to die? Or is he going to be surrounded by terrible misfortunes including death?

• Anais Ninn

Korean
    Well, I haven't read his tale and do not know if he's going to die or what his future holds for him. But if his wife is having an affair with someone, the chances are...

Anais

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
    I don't know his fate, either. :)
    I wondered what image strikes on most people when they hear the word. Now I think it doesn't necessarily mean "death" considering that you are not sure about his future. :)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Chobalsim, one of the meanings of "doom" is "unavoidable ill fortune". The other clue that this sentence does not mean "death" is the use of the word "ridden". As an adjective, it conveys the meaning of domination or harrassment (grief-ridden, disease-ridden) which are ongoing conditions and, accordingly, to me this sentence means that he is living an unlucky life with many awful things happening to him.

< Previous | Next >