Door at the front

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hello everybody,

I am, once again, requesting your help.
I know, I know... This is one more of those threads involving the prepositions many times discussed in this forum already.
The reason I've added one new thread is because I didn't see my doubts clarified by the several other threads dealing with, well, the "same subject".

So, moving on to the question, if I have a box type of garage, with enough space for parking 3 cars in line inside, and which has a single front door, not having however a front wall (the front wall is basically an opening - well, you all know how they look like, right?), what preposition should I use in the following sentence?

- "There is a door at the front of the garage".
- "There is a door in the front of the garage".

Take into account there is no actual front wall. There are only side walls, a ceiling and a floor - obviously :).

If there was a front wall in which an opening has been made, therefore creating a doorway, I would have no doubts on saying: "There is a door in the front wall of the garage", but this case is somewhat different - well, at least for my little head. :)

I have basically put in my mind that whenever we have a door, we should use the preposition "in" as the doors are always closing a doorway built in a wall. However, as there is no (front) wall in this case, I am having some questions, though I am leaning more toward "at" in this particular case.

Thank you.

• anthox

English - Northeast US
    I think that both sentences work here. Imagining myself in the situation of casually describing the layout of a garage, I'd feel more inclined to say, "There is a door at the front of the garage."

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    I think that both sentences work here. Imagining myself in the situation of casually describing the layout of a garage, I'd feel more inclined to say, "There is a door at the front of the garage."
    Hi anthox,

Appreciate your help. :)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    As I see it, there is a door there. There just isn't anything else. There's still a door, though. It's as much a door as it would be if it were smaller and there were walls on either side of it.

If you want to be sure that people get the correct picture, you can say that the garage has a three-car-wide overhead* door in front.

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    As I see it, there is a door there. There just isn't anything else. There's still a door, though. It's as much a door as it would be if it were smaller and there were walls on either side of it.

If you want to be sure that people get the correct picture, you can say that the garage has a three-car-wide overhead* door in front.

Thank you for the input.
    Well, actually it seems I have conveyed to you the wrong idea, as the garage I wanted you to imagine was a long and narrow one, rather than a short and wide one like the one you've pictured. The cars are parked in line with one another rather than side to side.
    Regardless, there is no change, at all, in the concept I wanted to talk about. :)

So, what you say is that "the door is in front".

My question was fundamentally with the preposition to use, Egmont. One says "door in the wall" because the door is inside the wall, somehow, isn't it? Or doesn't it have anything to do with this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the way, I think you can also have a roller shutter door that wide, though note sure on that also. I've seen quite large ones (4m wide), but not sure if, say, 6m wide roller doors are manufactured, though I reckon they are.
    I think also that a folfing door that wide is possible.
    A sectional door is for sure possible, as I have seen them rather large.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >