Door vs Doorway

jimmyy

Romanian
Hello everybody,

I'm new around here.
Can you please tell me if there is a difference between door and doorway, and in which context would you use a doorway instead of a door.

Moderator note: Please focus on a single topic in each thread. Second topic question removed.

Thank you,
Jimmyy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • flyingdutchbird

Netherlands - Dutch & England - Enlish
    Hi Jimmyy,

I would say 'doorway' is the hole in the wall that accomodates the door.

The door is what you open and close, the doorway is what you walk through.

Hope that helps

Karin

jimmyy

Romanian
    Dank je, flyingdutchbird

So basically you would use doorway, only when you are referring to an opening in the wall which doesn't have the door, otherwise you should use the door, ins't it?

Last edited:

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    jimmyy,
    The door is what opens and closes--you enter through it, you knock on it. It can refer to the whole thing (the hole and the door itself), usually when it's being opened or closed, or it can just mean the part that moves.

"Why didn't you close the door?"
    "A stranger was standing at the door." (After I opened it to see who was there.)
    "The door was sagging on its hinges."

The opening is called the doorway, usually when the door is open, but also just in general.
    "I looked up to see my mother standing in the doorway."
    "He looked through the doorway to see what was happening in the ballroom."
    "There are two doorways between my room and the bathroom."

"Joe went through the door into the living room." (Meaning, he opened the door--he might have closed it again afterwards, or not.)
    "Joe went through the doorway into the living room." (Meaning, it was already open.)

Does that help?

Last edited:

flyingdutchbird

Netherlands - Dutch & England - Enlish
    Hi Jimmyy,

I agree with Esca. There would normally be a door in the doorway, so you would step through the doorway, after opening the door.

Karin

In everyday speech and writing doorway is probably superfluous (which doesn't mean it's useless, just not essential). I can't think of any instance when just door wouldn't do, though if it was an empty door-frame(??), maybe door could be confusing.

sound shift

English - England
    In everyday speech and writing doorway is probably superfluous (which doesn't mean it's useless, just not essential). I can't think of any instance when just door wouldn't do, though if it was an empty door-frame(??), maybe door could be confusing.

Indeed. "There's a chair in the doorway" sounds all right, but "There's a chair in the door" would sound decidedly strange.

jimmyy

Romanian
    Thank you very much for your helpful answers.

Now I understand the usage of doorway, for me doorway was useless as it could allways be replaced by door.

Basically you use doorway when you want to reffer to the door opening and not the door itself. For examples a door opening without a door.

Most of the times door will do.

Have a nice weekend,
    Jimmyy