doorknob

jacinta

USA English
There was a debate going on in my dentist´s office today. How do you say "doorknob" in Spanish? There were Spanish speakers involved and they didn´t know. I´ve never learned that. Is there a word?

• Mate

Castellano - Argentina
    There was a debate going on in my dentist´s office today. How do you say "doorknob" in Spanish? There were Spanish speakers involved and they didn´t know. I´ve never learned that. Is there a word?
    Yes it is: "picaporte".

Southropia

Spanish
    Yo entiendo "doorknob" como simplemente la "perilla de la puerta", esta puede o no tener un latching system, pero es una perilla, el picaporte es el latching system..diferencias de lenguaje

moz-screenshot.jpg

robjh22

U.S.A. & English
    I'm not surprised there was a debate. The locals around here call it an "agarrador," I kid you not. When I say "perilla," they nod pleasantly as if to say "oh yes, that's the way we say it too."

Sure.

Mate

Castellano - Argentina
    "Perilla" is also used to name the knobs in front of the kitchen stoves. "Picaporte" instead, has only one meaning: doorknob.

outkast

English, USA
    My friends from Mexico also call it "perilla", some even "manija". I call it "picaporte".

lforestier

Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
    Picaporte or Perilla in Puerto Rico.
    Many Spanish-speakers in the US have never actually studied Spanish in school and some have learned the vocabulary typical of uneducated migrant farm workers spoken by their grandparents.
    So it really isn't their fault for having a very limited vocabulary.

Aserolf

Español - México
    Yo lo conozco como 'picaporte'. Nunca había oido lo de 'pomo' ni 'tirador', por lo menos en México no se usa.
    Saludos!

prudente

Inglés estadounidense
    "Perilla" is also used to name the knobs in front of the kitchen stoves. "Picaporte" instead, has only one meaning: doorknob.

«Picaporte» according to my Ecuatorian friend is more like the kind of latch bolt devices installed in bathroom stalls here in the States to keep the panel door from opening, for example. I think «Perilla» is the most universal and can be said almost anywhere and be understood. If more context is needed then «Perilla de puerta» will work just fine.

Here is a Google Trends graph. It is not perfect, of course, but I think it helps understand the confusion. Keep in mind that "perilla" can have other meanings and that the line for "manija" in the graph is influenced by other countries' use of the word.

Tendencias de Google - Interés en Búsqueda en la Web - Todo el mundo, 2004 - hoy

Last edited:

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    Pomo= it has a round shape
    Picaporte/manilla= it has any other shape

Moderator note: New questions must be posted in a new thread. You may find what you're looking for in the WR data base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aserolf

Español - México
    Perilla también se usa en México, incluso "agarradera" dependiendo del estilo.

En algunas partes de México "pomo" se le dice a un frasco o a una botella de licor.