doorways smashed down, windows crooked

< Previous | Next >

Broca

Italiano
Hi everyone,
again, in Lustbader's novel The Bourne Initiative, we get this image:

"The doorways looked smashed down, the windows crooked."

What do you picture in your mind? (You can click on the quote.)
The character has just found out that a person she thought was a friend is actually a spy, and she has to break the news to another friend of hers. They're walking around the city, and everything and everyone she passes seems "vaguely sinister", and "shadows appeared to leap out at her". She's scared, suspicious of everything, so anything she sees appears distorted in her mind.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Andrea

• sdgraham

USA English
    First of all, the book is by Robert Ludlum, not Eric Van Lustbader.
    Secondly, I don't see the quote is in the (Italian) link you provided.
    As such, all I can say is that I picture a neighborhood in ruins.

Broca

Italiano
    No, Ludlum died in 2001. This novel was written by Eric van Lustbader. It's the same thing that's happening with Tom Clancy book series (e.g. Jack Ryan): he started the series, but now it goes on without him.
    Italian link? If you click on the quote you should be directed to GoogleBooks. If it doesn't work, I have attached the page.

Attachments

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    What do you picture in your mind?... anything she sees appears distorted in her mind.
    It gave me the impression that she had been drugged or poisoned and was beginning to suffer hallucinations.

Broca

Italiano
    Thank you, PaulQ (hey, if we put our "names" together we get Paul Broca!:D).

Yes, that's what I was thinking. But how would a smashed down doorway look like? And again, what would a crooked window be? Literally crooked?

Andrea

< Previous | Next >