dopo aver ricevuto la commissione dal conte

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by ValeB, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ValeB Member

italian
    Hello everybody!
    I need your help, I don't know how to translate the italian word "commissione", that is when, in the past, a count or prince, anyway a noble, gave money to an artist to order an artistic work.
    Here is my sentence:

String Quartet op.18 no. 3 seems to be the very first quartet composed by Beethoven, completed in fall 1799, soon after Lobkowitz's order/charge/commission.

which one is the most correct? what would you say? thank you a lot!!!!

2. Awkward Member

Italia, italiano
  3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Qual è la frase ORIGINALE tutta in italiano?

4. ValeB Member

italian
    non ho la frase in italiano, sto scrivendo un saggio musicologico direttamente in inglese.
    In italiano proabilmente scriverei così:

Beethoven completò il quartetto nel 1799, poco dopo aver ricevuto la commissione dal conte Lobkowitz.

5. Tommy1971 Senior Member

UK English
    We often use the word "commission" not as a noun but as a verb. I would translate this sentence into English in the following way:
    "String Quartet op.18 no. 3 seems to be the very first quartet composed by Beethoven, completed in the fall of 1799, soon after the task/project was commissioned to him by Lobkowitz."

6. ValeB Member

italian
    Thank you very much! I think i will translate in this way

String Quartet op.18 no. 3 seems to be the very first quartet composed by Beethoven, completed in the fall of 1799, soon after the work was commissioned to him by Lobkowitz.

thank you very much!

7. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    I agree completely with Tommy about using commission as a verb but do we really say commissioned to him? I think you can also use commission as a noun, however. My suggestion would be
    ... soon after the work was commisioned by Lobkowitz.
    ... soon after receiving the commission from Lobkowitz.