Dorian Gray

rom_itn

Sri Lanka - Sinhalese
Hi all!
I wonder what is means by 'dorian gray'.
I found it in a song which is sung by James Blunt.

I guess it's time I run far, far away; find comfort in pain,
All pleasure's the same: it just keeps me from trouble.
Hides my true shape, like dorian gray.
I've heard what they say, but I'm not here for trouble.
It's more than just words: it's just tears and rain.

Thanks in advance
Rom :)

• Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Hi there,

It's part of the title of the book "The picture of Dorian Gray" (Oscar Wilde) a man who didn't want to get old. (is this correct?). I recommend it... well as all his books! ;) jeje

Cheers

Mei

angel_on_fire

English
    Dorian Gray does refer to the title of the book by Oscar Wilde about a man who hid a potrait of himself in his attic and while the face in the picture aged he did not - therefore Hides my true shape, like dorian gray means the writer is disguising his true self from others or the face or image that he shows to the world is not his real face

hope that clears it up

would also have to recommend Oscar Wilde's books and essays - he was a very funny man

Angel_on_Fire

natasha2000

Mei said:
    Hi there,

It's part of the title of the book "The picture of Dorian Gray" (Oscar Wilde) a man who didn't want to get old. (is this correct?). I recommend it... well as all his books! ;) jeje

Cheers

Mei

Hi everybody,

Dorian Gray was a very vicious man, but all his maliciousness was reflected in his portrait, (a gift from his friend paintor), and not on himself. On the one hand, the portrait was getting older and uglier due to tons of this sins (adultery, cheating, even murder), and on the other hand, he himself was keeping his aspect of an inoccent and young man... When he realized this, he hid the portrait in a room where nobody could see it. At the end, when the portrait was destroyed, in only some minutes, he became old and ugly as a person from the portrait, and the portrait became a nice, young guy, as he was at the beginning of the story.
    So, as song says, I hide as Dorian Gray, I think it wants to say that he pretends to be good person, and hides all the wicked things about himself...

Mei

(Sorry fot the thread above, I don't know what I've done! It is possible if a mod delete it? Thank you!)

Hey guys!

I didn't want to tell him all the history! Maybe he won't read it now... :( All that you said is correct but if someone read the book knowing all this it wouldn't be the same... it's better to have no idea about it, it will surprise you more!!! :) (i.e. it's just an opinion, I don't want offend... ;))

Cheers

Mei

natasha2000

Mei said:
    (Sorry fot the thread above, I don't know what I've done! It is possible if a mod delete it? Thank you!)

Hey guys!

I didn't want to tell him all the history! Maybe he won't read it now... :( All that you said is correct but if someone read the book knowing all this it wouldn't be the same... it's better to have no idea about it, it will surprise you more!!! :) (i.e. it's just an opinion, I don't want offend... ;))

Cheers :)

Mei

I agree with you, Mei, completely... But you forgot one thing:) ...
    He asked about the meaning of the lyrics, and if you don't explain the story, it is impossible to understand it....
    ;) Saludos,

Mei

natasha2000 said:
    I agree with you, Mei, completely... But you forgot one thing:) ...
    He asked about the meaning of the lyrics, and if you don't explain the story, it is impossible to understand it....
    ;) Saludos,

Yes I agree but I think that it would be better if he reads the book, that's why I said which book is and who write it, he will understand it better.... but as we don't know if Rom have time to read, you're right and your answer is ok!! ;)

See ya!

Mei

natasha2000

Mei said:
    Yes I agree but I think that it would be better if he reads the book, that's why I said which book is and who write it, he will understand it better.... but as we don't know if Rom have time to read, you're right and your answer is ok!! ;)

See ya!

Mei

I am sure that your good intentions have been welcomed by the guy... :) But at the end, it is his decision...;)

MarkLondres

England/English
    if somebody calls somebody a "dorian gray" does it mean that...

A) they don´t want to get old
    B) they lead a deceptive life of vices

Dorian Gray also makes an appearance in "moriria por vos" by Amaral.

M

nycphotography

American English
    MarkLondres said:
    if somebody calls somebody a "dorian gray" does it mean that...

A) they don´t want to get old
    B) they lead a deceptive life of vices

Dorian Gray also makes an appearance in "moriria por vos" by Amaral.

M

Based on the synapsis of the story above, I would say B.

A was only one example of B in the story (the story was about B in a general metaphorical sense).

rom_itn

Sri Lanka - Sinhalese
    Hi all!!
    I'm so glad that I've got such nice responses and I honestly didn't know anything about the book eventhough I've heard about Oscar Wlide..hmm funny. This sounds like one of his best works. Anyway thanks for recommending the book. Hopefully I'll could be able to find time during the Christmas holidays!
    Cheers!
    Rom :)