Double Consonants

Hello everyone!

I've just started Japanese, and I'm wondering how the "double consonant" rule works.

eg: I tried to write konnichi wa and I wrote "こっにち は”

I now understand that there is a hiragana letter for "n" and that is why I would not use っ but ん.

What are the consonants which are used for this rule then?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • hmoulding

USA German
    To write こんにちは with most roman character keyboard entry systems you need to separate the first and second n with an apostrophe: kon'nichiha.
    --
    ヘルゲ

pdmx

French, France
    I'm not a native so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The っ works to double consonants K, S, T
    っか like in あっか
    っさ like in まっさお or っざ in katakana = foreing originated words like ばっじ、ぐっず
    った like in あった 

N and M are doubled with ん
    こんなこと、あんま

R, Y, W and D cannot be doubled (I think), except in katakana transcriptions of foreign names and place names

H cannot be doubled but you can have
    っぱ よっぱらう
    っば (I can't think of an example)

hmoulding

USA German
    I think pdmx is correct. However, most keyboard entry systems don't incorporate those rules, as such, perhaps because it would make it difficult to enter foreign words, where Japanese orthographic rules don't apply.

Try playing around with your system to see which roman letter combinations produce which Japanese character combinations.

http://www.coscom.co.jp/japanesefont/inputjapanese/installime.html

This is a website that has several lessons on using the keyboard entry system that comes with the Microsoft Windows OS.
    --
    ヘルゲ

Flaminius

hedomodo
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    N and M and also [ɲ], palatal nasal, are doubled with ん
    こんなこと、あんま、はんにゃ
    R, Y, W and D cannot be doubled (I think), except in katakana transcriptions of foreign names and place names

H cannot be doubled but you can have
    っぱ よっぱらう
    っば (I can't think of an example)
    R, D, H, B can be doubled in transcriptions for foreign words. I cannot recall a word in any language that contains doubled W but ヤバーニーヤ (the Arabic adjective for Japanese; yabānīyya) comes to mind for doubled Y. So in theory, all consonants excepting semi-vowels and nasals can use the small っ/ッ to represent gemination.

However, most keyboard entry systems don't incorporate those rules, as such, perhaps because it would make it difficult to enter foreign words, where Japanese orthographic rules don't apply.
    What I really really really hate about run-of-the-mill applications is that they do not allow input <mm> or <mb>, <mp> for output <ん>. In fact, any two consecutive consonants result in っ/ッ. Other than that, the programs I know all support the rules explained above so you can type as transcriptions go and get proper Japanese scripts.