doubles (swimming)

Quantz

French
It's a text about swimming practice, in Philadelphia today.

A young sportswoman (a college girl) says : "We have doubles today" (meaning during the practice).

I've been searching all over Google, didn't find nothing. What could it mean, "doubles", here ? It's definitely not a "doublé", like one might say
about a competition victory.
Could it be a "relais" with two swimmers only (a "relais" is usually by teams of four).
Or maybe a double training session ?

• Kelly B

USA English
    Not obvious to me, either. Perhaps they're doing double sets of exercises. Is she a diver (je pense au plongeon synchronisé) ? Maybe a little more context would help?

Impuipitinelle

French
    archijacq is right, it means that her practice will last twice what it usually does.
    It's like any other subject (sport or school or etc...) if you have 2 hours of maths instead of one today you'll say "i have a double today" (meaning in the context : my time is doubled)

wasteland

English
    This is an old post but the last resonse is not correct. It is not a practice that lasts twice is long. It is two practices in one day. One in the morning and the second in the afternoon or evening. Source: I used to swim doubles 3x a week.

< Previous | Next >