Doublespeak - career associate scanning professional

< Previous | Next >

kittigger

Japanese
This is an example of doublespeak: a career associate scanning professional is used to refered to a grocery checkout clerk. But I don't really understand the meaning of "career associate" in that phrase. What do the 2 words "career associate" mean? Thanks.

• ewie

English English
    They don't mean anything, Kitti ~ that's why they're doublespeak. It's just a very very very grand way of saying 'employee in a humdrum job'.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Scanning cans of stewed tomatoes in a checkout line might be a career choice for somebody with no other options. It's not necessarily doublespeak so much as inflated nonsense.

Halloway

English English
    I think it means that someone has made a career out of being an 'associate scanning professional'. Think of 'career' as in 'he is a career politician.'

mplsray

This is an example of doublespeak: a career associate scanning professional is used to refered to a grocery checkout clerk. But I don't really understand the meaning of "career associate" in that phrase. What do the 2 words "career associate" mean? Thanks.
    An associate is used by some retail stores to refer to a worker. Career would distinguish a worker who intends to work in that business for a long time from one who is only a seasonal or otherwise temporary worker.

iconoclast

english - anglo-irish
    Boy, I wish we'd had this wonderful doublespeak when I did my first summer-holiday factory job almost 40 years ago. I thought it was grand to call the brain-numbing job of checking a few boxes of every batch of Berkshire nylon stockings and sending them on as "finished-product checker and dispatcher". Now I know it should have been something like "temporary career associate finished-product scanning and dispatch operative".

iconoclast

english - anglo-irish
    ewie: You've had WAY MORE practice at this than me. How would you render my job as a full-time teacher of English at a university into Doublespeak?

< Previous | Next >