Doubt about the use of “who”

J. F. Champollion

Spanish
Hi Everyone!!
I would appreciate if you could tell me which of the following sentences is right:

• I am a very responsible and dedicate person who puts all his energy in the task he performs.
  • I am a very responsible and dedicate person who puts all my energy in the task I perform.

I think that the correct is the first one… Thanks in advance!!

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Everyone!!
    I would appreciate if you could tell me which of the following sentences is right:

• I am a very responsible and dedicated person who puts all his energy into the task he performs.
    • I am a very responsible and dedicate person who puts all my energy in the task I perform. :cross:

I think that the correct is the first one… Thanks in advance!!
    Welcome to the forums!

I suggest you say this:

I am a very responsible and dedicated person. I put all my energy into the tasks I perform.

J. F. Champollion

Spanish
    Thanks a lot Cuchuflete!

It sounds better in your way... On the other hand, the explication that the correct is the first one, if because when I use “who” I start to talk in third person. Right ??

e2efour

UK English
    You are right that the first sentence is correct.

However, you have a problem if you don't know the gender of the person saying it. Then you have to say "who puts all their energy into the task they perform".

Although correct, it's an unfortunate way of writing, especially as you have puts (singular) and perform (plural). It is therefore best avoided, e.g. as suggested by Cuchuflete.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It is very awkward in Present-day English. We no longer easily allow 'who' to be marked for person. Formerly, it could be first person if it had a first person antecedent: that is, we could say 'I who am dedicated'. These days this sounds strange; but we have no clear, settled way of saying it now: 'I who is'. changing to third person? To me that sounds very bad. But others might say it. Really, you need to change your sentence to avoid this coming up.

< Previous | Next >