<doubt> that free will doesn’t exist

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The expression "doubt that free will doesn’t exist" is confusing to me. Usually, "we doubt A" would mean "we don't believe A." Now, replace A with "that free will doesn't exist." Here's the catch: Christian List, who firmly upholds that Why Free Will Is Real (Harvard 2019, his new book). That is, he doubts A day and night, not Hogan's "in the dead of night." Thus, Horgan appears to sound silly in asking this way.

The question of this thread is whether Hogan actually wanted to inquire "doubt that free will exists" - (That is, although you (List) always believe that free will is real, but have you ever in the dead of night, doubted your own belief?)

Sorry, you will have to read more context than what is offered below.

Horgan: Would you describe your belief in free will as faith? Do you ever, perhaps in the dead of night, doubt that free will doesn’t exist?

List: No, I wouldn’t describe it as faith. As I explain in my book, there are rational arguments in support of the view that free will exists.

Source: June 4, 2019 Scientific American
Free Will Is Real

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Do you ever, perhaps in the dead of night, doubt that free will doesn’t exist?
    This can be paraphrased as "Is there ever a time when you think that there is no free will, i.e. the future is fixed for all of us?"

One of the basic tenets of Christianity is that God gave mankind free will so that we could choose between His advice to behave well and thus please Him, or ignore His advice and spend eternity burning in Hell.

Given this, if there is no free will, then either there is no God, or God is punishing some people for being the way he made them.

Thus the Christian must believe in free will. However, the evidence goes towards the idea that everything that happens is a result of 'cause and effect' and thus the future is fixed for everything, including ourselves.

There is a further "however" -> However, it will never be possible to predict some things (e.g. what you will be doing at 15:34 hrs on 23 Jan. 2031) and thus, although there is no free will, the illusion of free will is too powerful to resist.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    It should be “exists.”
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thus the Christian must believe in free will. Ho
    You've very well explained Christian version of free will.:)

This can be paraphrased as "Is there ever a time when you think that there is no free will, i.e. the future is fixed for all of us?"
    Now you've equated "you doubt that there is no free will" with "you think that there is no free will," which is very unusual and hard to accept.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Now you've equated "you doubt that there is no free will" with "you think that there is no free will," which is very unusual and hard to accept.
    It might be clearer as
    "Is there ever a time when you have doubts [about what you believe] and think that there is no free will, i.e. the future is fixed for all of us?"

< Previous | Next >