doubtful vs suspicious vs uncertain vs skeptical

< Previous | Next >

Dianann

Korean
Hi everyone!:)

I was wondering which word will work better in this situation, and any help will be very appreciated!

Situation : (Mad men season 6)
Sally ( Don's daughter ) was walking down to the living room, and notice a stranger was in the living room.
The lady told Sally she's her father's grandmother and come here to surprisingly prepare soup for her father.
Sally was doubtful/uncertain/suspicious/skeptical that the lady was her father's grandmother (or maybe assume that she attempt to disguise to be father's friend to take advantage of something), displaying disgraceful attitude, and refused to hug her.

I was curious how to best describe this situation in a short rundown to my friend, and wasn't sure which word would work better here!

Thank you for your time in advance!! :D

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Doubtful' and 'uncertain' are open and neutral - you just don't know whether it's true. 'Doubtful' is perhaps a little bit more negative: Could it be true? It seems strange.

'Suspicious' is more negative: you have some reason to doubt it, and you also think that something dishonest is going on (if you're right to doubt it).

'Sceptical' is the most negative: you are inclined to believe it's not true - you would need some convincing to accept that it is true.

Dianann

Korean
    'Doubtful' and 'uncertain' are open and neutral - you just don't know whether it's true. 'Doubtful' is perhaps a little bit more negative: Could it be true? It seems strange.

'Suspicious' is more negative: you have some reason to doubt it, and you also think that something dishonest is going on (if you're right to doubt it).

'Sceptical' is the most negative: you are inclined to believe it's not true - you would need some convincing to accept that it is true.
    I really appreciate for reply!
    There was some uncertainty of how to use those words in my head, but I achieve enough clarity to shake the fog from my brain!
    And now I can tell the distinct difference between them to express in certain situation! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >