douché l'enthousiasme

hati

Turkish
Hi everyone, could you help me with that sentence?

How can I say douché l'enthousiasme in English. Full sentence is like this:

L'entendre exprimer ses craintes avait douché l'enthousiasme de la troupe.

thanks in advance

• wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    suggestion:
    quenched their enthusiasm
    quenched (désaltéré) would mean their enthusiasm was somehow satisfied (except it is not a phrase I've ever heard, archi)

put a damper on their enthusiasm is how I would put it.

Now hati, can you try to translate the whole sentence into English? (still hoping you'll do your part! :) )

archijacq

french France
    Harrap's:
    quench someone's enthusiasm: refroidir l'enthousiasme

also:
    to quench a fire (éteindre un feu, une flamme)
    (métallurgie): to quench in oil, water: refroidir, éteindre, tremper (le métal)

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Harrap's:
    quench someone's enthusiasm: refroidir l'enthousiasme

also:
    to quench a fire (éteindre un feu, une flamme)
    (métallurgie): to quench in oil, water: refroidir, éteindre, tremper (le métal)
    I understand that the dictionary has those equivalents, archijacq, but somehow it doesn't sound right to me when talking about " une douche froide sur l'enthousiasme " . Maybe BE uses it in a different way than AE...

hati

Turkish
    I think the sentence and the meaning should be all negative, first I thought that douché; has a positive meaning because the sentence after that one doesn't seem appropriate when I consider it negative. But then after I read the whole paragraph I think dampen or put a damper will suit the meaning. like;

hearing his fears (about their enemies), has put a damper on their enthusiasm.

the translation is not in English; but if I translate it into English; I would do it like this. :)

thanks a lot