douche italienne et terrasse

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Avignonaddict, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    Hi

I understand all the words(!) but wonder whether 'douche italienne et terrasse' in some way refers to an extra bit of bathroom kit.
    A l'étage magnifique salle de bain avec douche italienne et terrasse, wc/buanderie, pièce palière, trois chambres, grenier.

Or, perhaps not?

Elsewhere on the forums I see 'douche italienne' translated as 'wet room' but I thought it could simply be a walk-in shower - what do others think?

Thanks

2. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    Do you think that includes the 'terrasse' here, or are they completely separate things?

3. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

I think probably separate--I've never seen anyone take a shower on a terrace (maybe in a nudist colony?!)

4. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    I have just googled it, and there's plenty of pretty pictures! :)

A douche à l'italienne is a type of shower were the base is very shallow and flushed with the ground. Very in right now ;)

5. Wopsy

Wopsy Senior Member

The garden of Ireland
    English - Ireland
    :)

6. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    Damn irregular verbs :( And thank you :)

(and it should have been where the base ...).

7. Wopsy

Wopsy Senior Member

The garden of Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Flush in this context is an adjective - it means 'level with'. It is not connected to the verb 'to flush'.

8. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

In AE this is called a shower stall (not a shower that is part of a bathtub). Or a walk-in shower (sounds more chic)

9. Doc Justice

Doc Justice Senior Member

Paris, France
    French - France
    For the record, a "douche à l'italienne" is called a "Roman shower" (says google and wikipaedia)