Douche

tee_luna

Italy, italian
On Sunday night I was watching a programme on MTV (Why can't I be you).
At the end of the episode, the guy waits untill the other one walks away and says: "what a :warning:douche:warning:"

The subtitles read "Che coppia"

I do believe douche is short for :warning:douchebag:warning:.

Could it be translated "che :warning:sfigato:warning:" ?

• StaceyLee

USA/ English
    tee_luna,

I'm sending you a link that will explain all (see under the heading Slang Uses). I think that when a guy calls another guy a douche:warn::warn:, he is saying that he is a jerk, giving a feminine twist to it to make him seem weak and to make the insult more humiliating and vulgar.

Sfigato to me is more like a loser, but is missing those other humiliating qualities. Could it be like a cornuto, even though it does not involve a woman or cheating?

http://www.answers.com/topic/douche

Stacey

ILMarx

Italiano - Veneto
    "he is saying that he is a :warn:jerk, giving a feminine twist to it to make him seem" weak and to make the insult more humiliating and vulgar."

Could you explain what does "jerk" mean?
    Does "to give it a feminine twist" mean "con un'accezione femminile" - riferita all'insulto - ?

I read the link above - a good translation, in my opinion, could be "checca". It's very offensive.

StaceyLee

USA/ English
    I read the link above - a good translation, in my opinion, could be :warn:"checca". It's very offensive.

Haha- yes- You read my mind. I was trying to think of the word I heard when I was growing up, which is :warn:finocchio- checca is the same idea!

feminine twist- una connotazione femminile per "togliere il sesso" dell'uomo
    (twist= scegliere una parola deliberatamente a causa della sua connotazione)

jerk= Ecco il link:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=346307

Per favore, correggimi e fammi sapere se la spegazione non sia chiara.

Stacey

tee_luna

Italy, italian
    I normalli would translate it checca as well, but in that case he was just telling the guy that just left that he was a looser even though he thought he was "The :warn:shit:warn:".
    How about :warn:cazzone:warn: or :warn:coglione:warn:?

StaceyLee

USA/ English
    I think sfigato:warn: (loser) works just fine then. I don't really use cazzone or coglione much, but aren't they closer to "dick!" :warn::warn:and "asshole!":warn::warn: ?
    In the context of a competition (I'm the shit, and you're not...:warn:), I am not sure if they will work.

Maybe, though, I just don't get the variety of meaning of these two words and you need confirmation from someone else...

< Previous | Next >