dough-face obvious

< Previous | Next >

Hybridslinky

Italian
Hi all

I'm italian and i'm reading this post: The TOF Spot: 1. The Great Ptolemaic Smackdown

There is this part that is quite clear for me: "Astonishingly, Late Moderns, who hold heliocentrism as a sort of holy doctrine, are generally unaware of the empirical evidences that would justify it; while Early Moderns, who thought geocentrism dough-face obvious, were well aware of the evidences that falsified heliocentrism."

My only problem is that I don't know what does "dough-face obvious" exactly mean. On dictionaries I've found that "dough-face" is referred to a person whose opinion can change easily for his own convenience. But I don't know how to link this meaning with the context of the quoted sentence. Could anyone help me, please?

Devi inserire solo la frase ORIGINALE nel titolo del thread, non how to translate
Come devo scegliere i titoli delle discussioni?

• Hybridslinky

Italian
    Sinceramente non ne ho idea. Il post che ho linkato è stato tradotto in italiano, ed il traduttore ha usato l'espressione: "ritenevano il geocentrismo teneramente ovvio", ma io non credo che sia una scelta azzeccata, e non penso sia questo il senso che volesse conferire l'autore del testo originale, tenendo conto appunto di cosa significhi normalmente (secondo i dizionari) "dough-face". Io credo che intenda dire che il geocentrismo fosse conforme al senso comune e che dunque fosse facile modellare ed adattare ad esso la propria opinione, accettandolo come ovvio. Questo il senso, credo, ma non saprei trovare un'espressione adatta per renderlo in due parole come invece fa l'autore del pezzo originale.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I just read the link and I see it's written in a sardonic way. To me, the dough-faced obvious is simply a folksy way of saying very obvious, even to the dimwits out there. I've never really heard the expression before but rather than the older one you found, I think it just means someone who's not that bright.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    Wikipedia has an entry for doughface. Its origins are interesting. A doughface is simply a [metaphorically] blind follower and thus a naive person. So if something is obvious to a doughface, as rrose said, it is blatantly obvious.

Hybridslinky

Italian
    I think you are both right about what the author meant. But in this case I think the use of "doughface" is a bit inconsistent. Indeed if you are a "blind follower", you don't question at all what any authoritative person tells you to accept, wheter it is an obvious fact or not.

Hybridslinky

Italian
    A more consistent interpretation could be this one: if something seems obvious - e.g. geocentrism -, a doughface will accept it without hesitation, but if you are smart enough, you may have reasons to question what is apparently obvious. And indeed astronomers at that time had reasons to question geocentrism. So even if it was obvious, geocentrism needed a justification, and the (not doughface) phycists of the time had one.

On the contrary, this is the irony, today heliocentrism is considered obvious, but in fact most people could not provide an actual justification of it. So we may say today heliocentrism is doughface obvious as most people believe it, but actually you can justify it only if you are an expert.

Last edited:

pebblespebbles

italiano
    Hi,
    It may not convey all the meaning of dough-face, but, what do you think of translating "dough-face obvious" as "sfacciatamente ovvio" ,in this context?

< Previous | Next >